For students, grades 8-12.
The House, Inc. Opens Applications for a New Class of Scholars in Grades 8-12 in the Washington, D.C. Region in its EmpowerMEnt® Leadership Institute. Upon completion of the immersive Disciplines through readings, debate, fieldwork practicum, and residency courses at the University of Virginia Darden School of Business, students receive a Certificate in Leadership backed by the EmpowerMEnt® curricula partnership with University of Virginia Darden School of Business. See below for more information about the EmpowerMEnt® Leadership Institute and application process, and answers to frequently asked questions. Click here to learn more about the previous classes of EmpowerMEnt® and see highlights from their time together.
Build your leadership credentials for your profile in a timely way and distinguish yourself in the college admissions process. Our certificate program allows you to become credentialed in leadership specialties with a curriculum tailored to you at The House, Inc. Upon completion of an EmpowerMEnt Leadership Institute program, students receive a Certificate in Leadership backed by the EmpowerMEnt® curricula partnership with University of Virginia (UVA) Darden School of Business and an official program transcript documenting the extensive work performed. Students also receive a letter of recommendation that may be submitted to college as part of the admissions process.
The House, Inc.’s EmpowerMEnt® Leadership Institute in partnership with the University of Virginia Darden School of Business is a dynamic, fully immersive leadership experience and certificate program for students in 8th-12th grades.
A series of multiyear Disciplines, EmpowerMEnt gives students insider access with knowledge and skills to advance change as global-ready leaders through case studies, simulations, keynote talks, and capstone projects. The multidisciplinary curriculum introduces students to new ways of thinking and problem solving with a bias for action along with optimal team performance to help teens develop their own leadership skills to serve both business and society. Students gain college immersion which includes residencies and electives at the University of Virginia Darden School of Business.
- Applications are open to students in grade levels 8, 9, 10, 11, 12.
- Good humans. Members of the cohort will bring strong personal values. EmpowerMEnt Leadership Institute candidates will build an authentic, inclusive, and collaborative community that provides lasting values to include new and varied voices.
- We encourage individuals from all backgrounds to apply for this opportunity.
The EmpowerMEnt® Leadership Institute certificate program is a hybrid structure blending in-person and online experiences at The House, Inc. (Woodbridge, VA) during out-of-school time blocks and with residencies and electives in Charlottesville, VA and Washington, DC. Session formats include:
» Case studies
» Business tours
» ICON talks and panel discussions
• Personal Leadership Development
• Foundations of Business
• High Performance Team Dynamics
• Leadership Communication
• Ethics and Values-Based Leadership
• Strategic Thinking and Action
• Decision Making
• Project Management
• Leadership Across the Disciplines
The EmpowerMEnt Certificate Leadership Program includes a blend of in-person residencies and classes and speaker series, hybrid learning sessions, and electives.
2023 PROGRAM SCHEDULE
Module 1: February 24-25, 2023, Washington, DC
Module 2: March 18, 2023, Charlottesville, VA
Module 3: April 15, 2023, Washington, DC
Module 4: April 29, 2023, Washington, DC
EmpowerMEnt® Graduation: Saturday, May 6, 2023, Charlottesville, VA
*All program schedule dates are subject to change. Supporting speaker series, learning sessions and electives are not listed.
(Transportation for sessions is provided to/from The House, Inc., Woodbridge, VA).
Alternate schedules are available for student-athletes with flex days for your ideal schedule.
$800 Tuition | $200 Residency Fees
The House, Inc. supports a variety of methods of pay schedules and tuition options over the program term.
Student Application Opens: November 1, 2022
Student Application Closes: January 20, 2023
Applicants Notified: February 3, 2023
The House, Inc.’s application process for the EmpowerMEnt Leadership Certificate Program reflects its longstanding holistic approach to admission with opportunities for you to present your best self through your application.
1. Review the application.
2. Acquire your transcript.
3. Identify your recommender. We require one recommendation as part of our application process.
4. Respond to our essay questions. The 2022–23 application cycle includes short essay questions and a personal video statement, which provides a broader platform to showcase your background and personality. These modes are a great opportunity for you to help the Admissions Committee understand who you are and who you will be at EmpowerMEnt. Remember: We are not reading your responses with a prescribed or “right” answer in mind. We want to get to know you.
5. Complete the application. Now that you have pulled together your supporting materials, you can focus on filling out your application. This includes everything from providing basic information about you (address, date of birth, contact information, etc.); to detailing your educational history and extracurricular activities; to uploading your transcripts; to adding your responses and more.
Stay updated with the latest information from the EmpowerMEnt Leadership Insitute.